The Dog Breed Quiz
- Question: What dog was bred by monks in a hospice in the Swiss Alps?
- Answer: Bernard of Menthon (later canonized as a saint) created the hospice 8,000 feet (2,440 meters) above sea level to help travelers make it through an Alpine pass. St. Bernards were bred to help find people stuck in snowdrifts, but they never wore casks of brandy around their necks.
- Question: Able to defeat cheetahs in a sustained race, which dog breed is the fastest?
- Answer: Cheetahs can sprint up to 70 miles (113 km) per hour for 30 seconds, but a Greyhound can maintain a speed of 35 miles (56 km) per hour for about 7 miles (11 km).
- Question: Which crossbred dog was made to be a hypoallergenic guide dog for a blind woman?
- Answer: The labradoodle combines the working aspect of a 华南永昌配资_在线配资炒股:Labrador Retriever and the hypoallergenic coat of a Poodle.
- Question: With a long, low body perfect for underground tunnels, which dog was bred to attack badgers in their dens?
- Answer: 华南永昌配资_在线配资炒股:Dachshund is German for “badger dog.” While these dogs were underground, their loud bark signaled their location to humans aboveground.
- Question: Which dog breed’s name is Chinese for “sand skin”?
- Answer: Among other unusual qualities like a blue-black tongue and a bulbous nose, Shar-Peis have a coarse coat of fur.
- Question: The tracking power of which dog breed is admissible evidence in a U.S. courtroom?
- Answer: 华南永昌配资_在线配资炒股:Bloodhounds have a sense of smell at least a thousand times keener than that of humans.
- Question: According to the American Kennel Club, which dog breed has been the most popular in America since 1991?
- Answer: Labs are late bloomers: they weren’t even a top-10 breed until 1970, but they have dominated American dog houses for the last three decades.
- Question: Queen Elizabeth II owned at least 30 individuals of which kind of dog?
- Answer: The Queen’s love affair with Pembroke Welsh Corgis began when she got her first one in 1933. She is thought to have owned as many as nine simultaneously.
- Question: Chihuahuas get their name from what?
- Answer: Some of the earliest recognized specimens of the Chihuahua breed were found in the Mexican state of 华南永昌配资_在线配资炒股:Chihuahua.
- Question: Which of these dog breeds is native to Tibet?
- Answer: Lhasa is the name of Tibet’s sacred city, while apso means “long-haired dog.”
- Question: According to legend, the Buddha shrunk down a lion to create which dog breed?
- Answer: So the story goes: A lion fell in love with a marmoset monkey and desired to be shrunk down to its size. The resulting Pekingese dogs—named for China’s capital, Peking (now called Beijing)—became a favorite of the ruling class.
- Question: Doberman Pinschers were bred to protect someone in which profession?
- Answer: Karl Friedrich Louis 华南永昌配资_在线配资炒股:Dobermann was a tax collector and dogcatcher in 19th-century Germany who used the fruits of one labor to protect himself during the other.
Save your scores! Login before you play.